FREE CONSULTATIONS - Payment Plans - Hablamos Espanol

Call for a FREE initial consultation


Dealing with changes to child support and custody

Besides death and taxes, there is another certainty in life: change. It is rare to see a situation stay the same forever. Marriages don't even last forever, so when one ends and there are children involved, it's common for a situation to change after divorce, necessitating a modification. Fortunately, if a Georgia parent moves out of state or loses his or her job, there is a way to modify child custody and support in order to maintain the best interests of the child.

Whether you are paying child support or have full custody of the children, you may be able to obtain an agreement modification if the circumstances warrant it. The changes can work both ways, though, and sometimes not in your favor. For example, if you get a raise at work, you may be ordered to pay more in child support. On the other hand, if you get laid off or if the custodial parent gets a raise, then you may pay less in child support.

The same applies to child custody and visitation. You may not be able to keep your current visitation schedule if you are offered a job out of state. If you notice that the custodial parent is abusing the children or using drugs, then you might be able to obtain custody of the kids. It's important to realize that the orders put into place after the divorce are not set in stone and life changes can warrant modifications.

If circumstances in your life require you to make changes to your current child support or custody situation, don't try to go about it without involving an attorney. Contact us so we can discuss your situation and make sure all modifications are done in a legitimate manner.

Source: N/A

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

310 E.E. Butler Parkway Gainesville, GA 30501 Toll Free: 800-785-9601 Phone: 770-744-4637 Fax: 770-534-0289 Map & Directions

Gainesville Office P.O. Box 414 Gainesville, GA 30503 Map & Directions