FREE CONSULTATIONS - Payment Plans - Hablamos Espanol

Call for a FREE initial consultation


Family Law Archives

What to do if someone is violating a family law order

Many people in Georgia are married and have children. While the couple is together, they generally make all the decisions regarding schedules, responsibilities around the home and how the relationship will work. However, if the couple splits, the court will probably get involved. In the divorce, a court will divide assets, make child custody determinations, parenting time decisions, child support decisions and many others.

Understanding the basics of alimony

People throughout the United States, including those living in and near Atlanta, Georgia, know that every person is unique, as is every relationship, whether it is a business relationship, friendship or married couple. In some situations, both spouses are able to work and juggle schedules to earn money for the family. With other families, one spouse earns money to support the family financially while the other spouse stays at home and either takes care of the housekeeping or cares for the children, or both.

Child support basics in Georgia

When people in Georgia have children together, they soon realize that making sure that the children are fed, clothed, have a roof over their head and other costs add up quickly. The parents need to figure out how they are going to pay for the various things the child needs. Both parents contribute in some way though. This could be through both having jobs or one parent providing care for the child, while the other works. However, figuring out how to contribute to these costs becomes trickier when the couple is no longer together.

Mel B's husband files for joint custody in divorce

Many people in Georgia are familiar with Mel B, the former Spice Girl and current Judge on the television show, America's Got Talent. Well, she recently filed for divorce from her husband of almost 10 years, Stephen Belafonte. In her filing, she requested the court not award spousal maintenance. She also filed for a restraining order from her husband, alleging abuse throughout the marriage.

Modifying a child support order less than 36-months old

Parents in Georgia must provide for their children needs while they are minors. These include the basic needs food, clothing and shelter, but also the many other financial costs associated with the children, such as medical expenses, health insurance, child care, activities and many other costs. This is true whether the parents are married, living together, separated or divorced. However, when they are no longer together how each parent contributes is different and generally governed through family law by a child support order.

Is there legal separation in Georgia family law?

Legal marriage is a condition that unites two individuals under the laws of the State of Georgia for many and varied purposes. From taxation to employer benefits and inheritance to decision-making rights during times of incapacity, being married can make many facets of life different than being single. There is, of course, the other side of marriage, which is the emotional, personal or religious aspect of being wed to another person.

Georgia enforcement of child support out of state

This blog has discussed various parts of the way the state of Georgia implements its policy that children should be supported by the abilities and effort of both their parents. In cases of divorce or parents who do not live together, this is generally done through the issuance by a family court of a child support order obliging a non-custodial parent to pay a certain amount to help support the child. We have also touched on a number of ways single parents can enforce these orders, including motions for contempt, and suspension of driving and professional licenses. But what happens when a non-custodial parent doesn't live in Georgia, or moves out of the state?

Georgia parents have a right to enforce child support orders

One of the largest understatements around is probably that "being a single parent is difficult." Attempting to care for the physical and emotional needs of a child or children while simultaneously having to make enough money to keep a roof over your family's heads and food on the table can be a daunting task. This is why Georgia, like most U.S. states, attempts to ensure that both parents are required to contribute financial support for a child, even if they are no longer living together. This is generally done through a court order for child support.

310 E.E. Butler Parkway Gainesville, GA 30501 Toll Free: 800-785-9601 Phone: 770-744-4637 Fax: 770-534-0289 Map & Directions